Thursday, November 25, 2010

The First of Firsts


In I Corinthians 15:19, Paul writes, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."

Today is Thanksgiving. I am thankful most of all for the love of God. It was His love for me that caused Him to send Jesus to redeem me from the penalty of death. It was also His love for me that allowed a demonstration of His resurrection power, so my faith could carry me past my sorrows caused by the deaths of loved ones and past the fears caused by thoughts of my own pending death. I am thankful that we have hope that reaches beyond the grave.

It is fitting that the first holiday since Bruce's death be "Thanksgiving." My family has a year of firsts to face: first Christmas, first New Year's, first Valentine's for Brenda, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, 4th of July, Wedding Anniversary, and family birthdays and celebrations. "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."

Because Jesus lives, I can face tomorrow and all of the firsts between now and Thanksgiving 2011 with "joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment