Monday, July 4, 2011

Not Lost

Most of my traveling has required that I use Interstate 35, whether North or South, so it is a highway with which I am quite familiar. I mentally section off my entire distance to be traveled using approaching cities as mile markers, measuring the distance yet to be traveled. Often I recognize sites and landmarks prior to seeing signs indicating my location.

Sometimes while traveling through familiar territory, I become distracted by the phone or a thought. Whenever I recover, the question I ask myself is, "Where am I?" Other questions follow such as: 1) "Have I missed my exit," or 2) "Did I accidentally take an exit instead of remaining on the Interstate?" It is during these times of uncertainty, that I trust the highway system. I reassure myself that even though I am traveling in unfamiliar territory, I am on the right road, and all I have to do at this time in order to reach my destination is to continue driving straight ahead.

My journey through life has given me many similar experiences. I have become distracted and found myself in unfamiliar territory. I become anxious and question whether or not I have ventured off course. My enemy and adversary's goal is to deceive me and to cause me to panic, so that I will make a mistake and leave the road that will lead me to my destination.

In my natural travel and likewise in my spiritual travel, I have experienced concern over whether or not I have made a mistake. These experiences have taught me that there is a difference between "not knowing where I am" and "being lost." I remind myself and comfort myself with these words, "I may not know where I am, but I am not lost. I am on the Right Road." Jesus assures me in John 14:6 that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. My problems and challenges place me into unfamiliar territory with which I am uncomfortable until I come upon something familiar and find comfort.
God's word is a rod that comforts me. I may get broke, I may experience heartache, and I may have some pain from time to time that challenge my faith...but I am never lost. Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment