Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ask


The twins, Nita and Rita (held in this photo by big brother, Bruce and big sister, Judy) created a language as toddlers that they used in private conversations between themselves. No doubt, the challenge was Rita's since she served as the bilingual interpreter. As twins, they were always together. Parents and babysitters alike presented the same provisions to both, even if only Rita spoke up and asked for what they wanted.

Rita began communicating noticibly quicker than Nita. After all, it was not necessary for Nita to speak English, for Rita could get Nita what she wanted. My parents have dozens of stories about the antics of Rita and Nita. "Hi...My name is Rita. She's Nita. We're twins. I'm the oldest, but she's the biggest." (Grammar correction: "older and bigger") ....Of course, with Rita being littler than Nita, Rita was probably asking for less food and snacks than Nita would have liked. I can only presume that Nita one day learned how much more beneficial speaking up for herself was. Boy did she learn to communicate what she wanted!

Jesus says in John 16:24, "...ask and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full." Like Nita, I learned to communicate my wants to my Heavenly Father. It is exciting to receive something you have asked for, whether you are asking the creditor to borrow money or the human resource director for a job. No experience compares to asking God for something and receiving it. Usually when we ask something from God, we either really want it or we really, really need it. Having God meet my wants, and more importantly, my needs, indeed makes my joy full.

I count the temporary light afflictions of voids and needs, joy. Experiencing voids and needs cause me to call on God. They cause me to ask Him for what I need. When I receive from Him, my joy is full. I wait on God to supply my needs, but while I am waiting I count my voids and needs, joy. Yeah, Nita....if you want to be full, ask for yourself. Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment